Monday, May 17, 2010

Letter # 56

Hello my dear sweet Family.

Yes, we had another good week here. We found four new investigators. 2 of them are younger guys. One 27 and the other 18. The 27 year old was kind of a cool story. Yesterday we were outside doing a lot of finding, and I ran into this guy. It started out as a pretty good contact but he didn't really believe in God so the conversation really wasn't getting anywhere. But I asked if he would be willing to meet with us in an hour and he said yes. When we sat down with him we had a really good first lesson and he said he was willing to come to church with us the next week. He also said his first prayer. Its amazing the curiosity the spirit can bring to someone. The same went with the 18 year old we met with. He was just someone I met on the side of the train station. At that time the only reason why he was willing to meet with us was just in the mere fact that he had nothing to do. From the lesson his curiosity grew to the point that he was willing to take a Book of Mormon and pray to God. Awesome!!!

Well I forgot to tell everyone, that the week before we had Elder D. Todd Christofferson come visit the mission. He spent a couple hours with us and gave an awesome Testimony. He also gave us about a half an hour to ask questions if we wanted to. I actually had a question that I had been thinking about for a long time on my mission and I decided to stand up and just ask it. I was kinda sweating bullets when it was my turn and he pointed at me. The question I asked him was "What is God's influence in other religions?" I stated it more clearly when I explained to him that we had multiple investigators with different religious testimonies. All the way from Buddhism, Islam, and then to a basic Christian sect. I explained to him that our investigators were all so sure of the divinity of the religion that they were joined to, and this has been something that I had thought much about before but never been able to truly get a good answer for it.

In a way he didn't answer it the way I thought or kind of hoped he would. But he did answer. He explained to us that there are laws in heaven and if any one of God's children abide to those laws, they are blessed whether they realize the laws they are keeping or not. He then went on to explain that only we have the Priesthood, and that only through the Priesthood we can receive all the blessings from heaven. The sealing power of families especially. Pretty cool.  I am so thankful that I grew up in a family where the principles of the Priesthood are taught and lived. What a blessing that has been in my life, and it took me this long to get it.

Well my companion and I are still doing great! We are having a really good time. He and I lately have kind of been on this so called (vigilante movement) I like to call it. So lately every time we see a group of kids smoking we immediately ride up to them on our bikes and take the cigarettes from them and throw them on the floor. That is my companions favorite part. Then we have this nice little 5 minute disciplining session on how stupid it is to smoke, and really NOT cool it is. It's great, some of these kids faces when we are doing it too.  It makes me crack up every time. Sometimes my companion enjoys the disciplining part a little too much. In the end we know that they are probably not going to stop smoking because we told them to. But it will have an influence on them in the future. Most of the kids end up just saying thanks and smiling in the end. Even though they are probably still scared out of their minds. Its hilarious.

Well this week the scripture I am sharing is in Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:2

Behold, I have manifested unto you, by my Spirit in many instances, that the things which you have written are true; wherefore you know that they are true.

I really like it because it reminds me and makes me think back at all the times I have received a witness of the truth. Its good especially when you run into those hard days and doubt starts to take over.

Alright love you all
Elder WEI

No comments:

Post a Comment