Monday, March 8, 2010

Letter # 46

Hello Family!

Things still going great! Loving it more and more as it goes. Well this weeks special shoutout goes to my nephew Adam (Elder Vuinovic) who is leaving for the MTC this week. I am so proud of you my brotha! It's the best thing you will ever do. That I promise. Adam, I will send you a letter to the MTC within these next few weeks.

This week we found new investigators, making it just about as busy as the last week! We set a baptismal goal with a 25 yr old guy named brother Tsai. We are excited about that. The issue we might run into with him is the fact that he comes from a family that is extremely loyal to their current religion. The name of the religion is called Yiguandao. The basis of their belief is that all religions are true, and that it is our job to find which "God" or "Heaven" you would like to end up in. In essence..... if you want to be Buddhist you can continue through reincarnation. But if you believe in Jesus you will end up in Heaven. Anyone hearing this obviously understands there is a bit of a large conflict here, but that is the way their religion was explained to me. It is going to be difficult for the first stages of meeting with him to overcome this barrier. That being said, he did set the baptismal date and told us that if he received an answer to his prayers that he would join the Church. Luckily one of his good friends is a person in the ward right next to us. So that will help a lot.

A few amazing things happened this week. I will start by explaining that in Taiwan there are a lot of part or single member families. For example this one Lady in our ward, she and her children were baptized but her husband was not. They are the Lin Family. Well this last week we got a call from him. Which is a miracle in and of itself. But really long story short he called us a few times within two days and told us that he wanted to meet with us and would like us to come over. We don't understand all the details but basically he called a few members of the ward and told them that he and his wife were dealing with a few things and he wanted to know what he should do. So he called us and told us that he wanted to meet and talk. We went over to his house and he explained to us that he was worried that he was not being the man he thought he should be, especially the Father figure in his house. He told us that he wanted his wife to know that she could completely rely on him. He looked completely broken and contrite. He was becoming or being forced to be humble like the Zoramites in Alma 32. When we got done he said the most amazing prayer and told God that he was willing to follow the direction of the missionaries to come closer to God. He then hugged us. It was the hardest and most heart felt hug I have ever received from a Taiwanese. His name is Lao Zhi Lin. I hope everyone can pray for him and his wife's relationship.

This week I had a very interesting experience in sacrament meeting. It was unlike any other Sacrament meeting I have ever been a part of. I know that I grew up in the Church and I have been taking the sacrament since out of the womb. But this was the first time where I felt like I was understanding just a piece of the importance of partaking the Sacrament. As I was partaking the sacrament the thought occurred to me and I pondered what it meant to "Always remember him". I obviously cannot explain the entire experience and the details of it. But I remember thinking of his suffering on the cross and what that meant for me personally. It was a good self evaluation of my relationship with the savior. It was an amazing reminder to me of why we even go to Church and what it is all for. I know that might sound fairly basic and to most members of the church they might have the thought of "duh"... "of course" ...But it wasn't like that. This was much more deep and clear. I have decided that from now on I will try every Sunday to have an experience like that, and always "Remember Him".

The Scripture this week is 3 Nephi 18:7-15
I love you all so much! Talk to you next week!
Elder Wei

No comments:

Post a Comment