Monday, April 12, 2010

Letter # 51

Okay! This last week.............. Not easy.

Just as hard as it has ever been. I am not going to get very detailed on what I say. But my companion had a little bit of a breakdown one of the nights last week and it was pretty rough. He basically is really down on himself about a lot of things. He feels like he has not been very successful as a missionary and it really tore him down. I did all I could to talk to him about it but in the end we decided that it would be best if he talked to President about how he feels. Things got a little better after he talked to President. Then a few days after that he wasn't happy again. On top of that last week we also lost another one of our investigators with a baptismal date. We called him and asked when we were going to meet with him next and he told us that he didn't have interest and that we didn't need to come over. One of the things that will turn everything around in my opinion is just attitude. I know that sounds so easy and everyone says that for
advice, but it's true!

Right now I am trying to do my best to just make my companion happy. Because when he is happy he really is an incredible missionary! It's just about maintaining that good feeling
is the thing that is so hard. When I first got with him I just thought that running him with hard work would build his fire, but have realized that is not what he needed at the time. He needed to be built personally and his confidence needed to be built. I think the work ethic will come . Even though last week was one of the harder weeks of my mission, I really feel a comforting feeling about this next week.
______

Last night was awesome. I don't really know what changed it. But the feeling was just different. I think a lot of it was that we started laughing about something and it just changed the whole feeling around. We set 4 people up for appointments next week. My companion all the sudden had all this fire with him, and it was all from attitude.

This next week is a big week for the Gao Family. The husband's baptismal interview is this next Saturday. Please pray for them. This next week also will be big in the fact that we are meeting with a lot of new people that could become really good new investigators. Getting to know people and seeing them become new investigators is easily one of my favorite parts of missionary work. My companion has made mention that he wants to start working with the ward more. In my mission I feel like that has not really been my strongest point. So we came up with a plan. Because our ward is smaller than most. We decided to invent this newsletter that we are going to send out to the ward once a week. In this newsletter we want to give a spiritual
thought, a scripture, and information about the investigators we are working with. We really think that it will connect us with the ward and they will get to know the missionaries a lot better without us having to spend so much time in their homes. There are many elders that like spending a lot of time with members. I personally have never really liked that. I feel that takes too much time. Our Ward really needs a push though, so I feel good about it.

General conference was AMAZING! It was my favorite one that I have ever seen. It is a ridiculously large blessing that I never even came close to grasping before my mission. I took it all for granted. But this year I really realized the power of the words spoken. There has
never been a meeting or anything that I have ever attended in my life that has effected me more than the General conference this last weekend. I cant even really describe the uplifting effect it had on me. I feel like I was taught so many principles that I have heard from childhood. But since I am truly living them every day, so many doctrines have become more clear now. The Family focus this General conference was evident. I don't see how any parent or future parent could not have not been inspired to do a better job in their everyday family life from watching ANY one of the talks.

I don't know if I really had a favorite talk. But the one at the end from Elder Neil Anderson really was amazing. He invited all of us to just talk more about the Savior. He promised just bringing up his name anywhere would bring more protection. That I can really testify of. Just thinking about the Savior brings more protection. But I believe by having full family conversations about him the impact can be so much greater. My testimony in the Savior and his healing power really grew from conference. I really know that the Atonement is real and changes hearts. I have felt that change.

The scripture this week is Helaman 5:12

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Love you
Elder Wei

No comments:

Post a Comment